Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The College Dropout

During the 2002 NBA All-Star Game, and Jordan’s return to the NBA for a second time, the Air Jordan XVII debuted. This colorway was inspired by his new team: the Washington Wizards. This also became the first Air Jordan to not release in a black and red Chicago Bulls inspired colorway. These came in a box that served as a cover for a briefcase. The briefcase is all silver and very similar to the one released with the Japan exclusive Air Jordan 1 Retro+ Neutral Grey/Metallic Silver in 2001. They also saw the return of lace locks as well as a special DVD to show highlights through the development of the Air Jordan XVII.

These are on my Top 5 list of Jordan shoes. I missed the original release of these back in '02 and never payed much attention to them when Jordan wore them in the All-Star game (even though I was there). I didn't realize how dope these kicks actually were until Jordan's godson came to my house with them on. It hurt to watch this kid run in the mud and hoop in them when I did not have mine yet. Some how I got my hands on a pair and wore them to school just about every day. At age 12 I was not into the shoe game like I am now and actually wore whatever shoes I thought were the hottest at the time. After a couple months my College Blues had been put on academic probation and dropped out. Fast forward 6 years to 2008 when the CDP 6/17 came out. I got the pack like I did every other one, fell in love with 6s, hated the 17s. I originally liked the black 17s too, but the suade absolutely killed it for me. I ended up selling the pack and eventually buying another pair of DS College Blues with the OG suitcase and DVD. The value on these is not as high as some of my other kicks, but even though it might sound dumb, for me they almost seem priceless.

Current Value: ?

No comments:

Post a Comment